1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Vehicle Accidents
  4.  » Car Accident FAQ

Get The Information You Need After A Car Accident

If you are in a car accident, you are suddenly presented with a flurry of questions that require quick, informative answers. You need to know what steps to take to protect your right to seek proper compensation — and you need to know quickly.

That is why we have provided this page of frequently asked questions about auto accidents in Massachusetts. At The Law Offices of Joseph J. Cariglia, P.C., in Worcester, we have a proven record spanning more than half a century of helping injured people obtain just compensation after vehicle crashes. Contact our lawyers today for a free initial consultation.

Q: What should you do immediately after a car accident?

A: Your personal well-being must come first and foremost after a crash. Here are some do’s and don’ts to keep in mind as you seek to respond to what has happened.
• Do get emergency medical care, if that is needed.
• Don’t admit fault. Even if you think you were at fault, talk with a lawyer first before giving too much information to the other side.
• Don’t leave the scene, unless you need to get immediate medical care.
• Do exchange insurance information.

Q: When should you contact an attorney after a car crash?

A: The short answer is sooner rather than later.

If you are injured in a car accident, you cannot be certain at the time whether your injuries will heal quickly or worsen over time. This is especially true for brain injuries, but the same reasoning applies to other types of injuries as well. That is why it does not make sense to wait before contacting a lawyer after you are hurt.

Q: What damages may be recovered for injuries suffered in a car accident?

A: The most immediate concern you have may be paying your medical bills. That is entirely understandable because those bills can really add up after a serious car accident.

Keep in mind, however, that a party found to have negligently caused your accident is responsible for much more than your medical bills. The available damages may also include other costs that you suffer due to the accident such as damage to your car, lost wages and lost earning capacity.

In Massachusetts, damages for pain and suffering may also be available for injuries suffered in a vehicle crash due to another’s negligence.

If the accident was a fatal one, the damages you seek for the loss of your family member will be through a wrongful death lawsuit.

Q: What happens if the other driver does not have insurance?

A: Handling insurance issues is a key part of our service to you. Our firm is completely committed to making sure that your interests are protected aggressively if insurance disputes arise.

If the other driver is uninsured or underinsured, do not give up hope. You may still be able to recover under the uninsured/underinsured clause of your own insurance policy. There may also be causes of action available against other responsible parties such as a bar or restaurant that served too much alcohol to an intoxicated driver who injured you.

Q: How will this affect my family?

A: Realistically, an injured person’s family is likely to be affected in many different ways. These effects may go well beyond the fact that medical bills and lost wages usually create financial stress for families.

Serious car accident injuries can result in physical or mental impairments that greatly impact the ability to accomplish daily tasks. The impairments may even be so severe as to be life-changing — and when this happens a family’s life may be reshaped in unexpected ways.

Pursuing Proper Compensation After A Car Accident

No matter what questions you have about what steps to take after an accident, they are best addressed by talking with a lawyer from a trusted law firm. Call 866-491-6561 or contact us online to set up a free initial consultation with our respected Worcester firm.