Car insurance implications in Massachusetts

On Behalf of | Apr 4, 2018 | Blog

If you have been involved in a car accident in Massachusetts, whether you are a resident or live in another state, it is vital that you understand how the law works. There will be many administrative actions that you will have to take care of in the wake of the accident. One of these will involve your can insurance.

The most important thing to establish in the state of Massachusetts is that every party involved in the car accident had auto insurance coverage. Massachusetts requires that all registered vehicles have at least the minimum auto insurance coverage in place.

Who is liable in a minor accident?

Massachusetts is different to many states in the sense that they follow a “no-fault” system regarding vehicle accidents. Therefore, you need to first contact your own insurance company in the event of an accident. If you have been involved in a minor car accident, your own insurance provider will likely cover all of the damages, without needing to conduct a full investigation.

What should I do if the car accident is serious?

If you have been involved in a more serious car accident and you would like to press charges or claim additional damages, you can only do so in certain specific situations in the state of Massachusetts. These situations include when you have incurred over $2,000 in medical costs that were necessary or reasonable in relation to the injuries that you suffered, or if you suffered an injury that was considered permanent, serious or resulted in the loss of hearing or sight.

In such a situation, it is possible to file a lawsuit with the court. In addition, you are able to file a complaint against your insurer if they deny your claim and you are unable to resolve the dispute.

It is important that you are able to establish who is at fault for the car accident, especially if it is a serious one. You should also take action immediately if you have been involved in a car accident in the state of Massachusetts. This includes obtaining copies of any police reports that were filed.


FindLaw Network