Even when you try to avoid it, there will be times when you drive directly into a construction zone. As frustrating as it may be, especially if you’re in a hurry, you don’t want to do anything that puts you or other people at risk of injury.
Here are five things you can do to drive safely in a construction zone:
- Expect everything: For example, abrupt stops are common in construction zones. Just the same, a construction worker could walk out in front of your vehicle. When you expect everything, nothing will surprise you, thus making it easier to deal with a sticky situation.
- Slow down: Know the posted speed limit and keep an eye on your speedometer. Speeding through a construction zone is a big no-no. Not only does it increase the risk of an accident, but it can also result in a larger fine if you’re caught.
- Watch for flaggers: Depending on what’s happening in the construction zone, there may be a flagger telling you what to do. Obey all their directions, as neglecting to do so increases the risk of an accident.
- Think twice about changing lanes: In many construction zones, you’ll find that it’s illegal to change lanes. Even if it’s permitted, think twice about doing so as you’re often in tight quarters.
- Use defensive driving to your advantage: There’s never a good time to drive aggressively, especially in a construction zone. Defensive driving is important, as this will put you in position to travel through the construction zone without incident. Maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and others, don’t speed and obey the posted signs.
Along with the above, if you’re aware of a construction zone you may want to drive out of your way to avoid it. Even if it takes longer to reach your destination, this may allow you to feel better about your safety.
If you’re part of a construction zone car accident, move to safety as soon as possible. Also, call 911 and check yourself and your passengers for injuries.
Only after you receive treatment should you contact your insurance company, learn more about the cause of the crash and think about the many ways to hold the negligent party responsible for their actions.