As we usher in spring and warmer weather, it's important for drivers in Massachusetts to watch for motorcyclists, bicyclists and others who may be getting out on the roads.
At The Law Offices of Joseph J. Cariglia, P.C., we may be a personal injury firm, but that doesn't mean we want to see people get into accidents. That is why we've put together some tips for drivers as they begin sharing the roads with pedestrians, bicyclists and motorcyclists as more people start enjoying the spring weather.
A few tips for sharing the roads with others
Even the most careful drivers need a reminder of how to safely share the road. Below are some tips to remember the next time you get behind the wheel:
- Stay off your phone and don't text while driving
- Slow down in areas where pedestrians and bicyclists are prevalent
- Be sure to stop at crosswalks and look for pedestrians before pulling into intersections
- Yield to pedestrians at crosswalks and intersections
- Give bicyclists a wide berth when passing
- Check your mirrors before opening your door when parked
- Always check blind spots for motorcyclists
- Don't tailgate motorcyclists or other motorists
- Use your lights (even during the day)
- Use your turn signals to ensure others are aware of upcoming maneuvers
- Keep an eye out for uneven terrain or poorly maintained roads that may cause you to lose control of your vehicle
- In inclement weather, slow down, turn on your lights and be on the lookout for others on the road
Of course, no matter how carefully you drive, accidents can and do happen. As your lawyers, we will be here, ready to help you recover after your accident. We can make sure you get the medical treatments you need, stand up to the insurance company so you can focus on your recovery and pursue full and just compensation on your behalf.